Featured Post

Creative Warriors Inspiration Team - Term 3 Post #16

          This is my next inspiration for the Creative Warriors Inspiration Team  with  Michelle Grant Designs You will see our inspirationa...

Sunday 11 July 2021

Houses in miniature

Since Effy's Blog Along in April I have been adding the occasional post - recently sharing my Index Cards made for each day in June and July. However I thought I would write something different today.


If you read some of my April posts you will know that when I saw Effy's Blog Along, I thought I would share some 'diary' posts and this is another on the same lines.

I have always loved things in miniature - so when I saw Como House in Melbourne (a National Trust property) was putting on a Doll's House Exhibition, for me this was a 'must see'. It had amused me that my husband had already seen the advert but omitted to tell me - because he knew we would have to go. However he enjoyed it too! We went yesterday - and our daughter Sophie came too.

Of course the exhibition had to close during Covid lockdown and then when it opened again we were restricted to 25k - and it was too far. Sophie could have gone as she lives closer - but she daren't go with out me!

So yesterday was the day! Lots of fabulous exhibits to see! There were doll's house chairs to spot everywhere... and a brilliant display explaining the different scales.



Look at that teeny tiny one!


In one room there was an opportunity to take a selfie as if you were in a doll's house.


But mostly it was the wonderful doll's houses and the rooms within them, from all different eras... of course the photos do not do them justice. It is amazing how much work must have gone into each one...


I really liked this crafty scene:


And the tiny crockery that had been placed in the kitchen:



I have always loved doll's houses - I remember being enthralled as a child when my Aunty Hilary took us to see Queen Mary's Doll House. I used to love tiny sets of things... My own doll's house as a child had two rooms, made for me by my Dad out of an orange box. It was wallpapered and the contents inside were handmade by Dad and me.

As an adult I have made two doll's houses - I have neither of them now as they were each given to a friend's children when we moved on to another country. I had a boxfull of furniture, dolls and bits and bobs, until this most recent move to Australia! Most recently I have made 'rooms' from kits. My daughter gave me a 'library' for Christmas and I am now in the process of another 'sitting room' now.


I would love to make another doll's house from scratch...
Talk to you again soon...


Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. How amazing. I too love dolls houses. I remember getting one for Christmas and my Dad bought some teeny light bulbs and hid a battery in the roof so it would light up :-D
    Your Library is awesome !!! :-D xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always admired the attention to the tiniest of details in doll houses. Thanks for sharing! Creative Blessings! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing!!! I especially love the crafty room and the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and maybe leaving a comment! Please come back soon!


To comply with the new EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog. On entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway that I might promote, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner - thanks.