Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Amazing Race Art Journaling Challenge


I decided to enter into the Amazing Race Art Journaling Challenge on Facebook

Leg One is China!

Of course I could have chosen many things to put in my journal having lived in Hong Kong for two and a half years (I left 10 years ago) and having visited various places in China at different times.

This is on the Great Wall in 2008:


However I decided to follow the links in the brief and see where that took me...


My double page spread started with a little colour from cleaning a brayer when I had been using is before! But basically I decided to keep my pages monochromatic.
I wanted to just use red as it is such an auspicious colour!
I added Distress ink around all sides using 'fired brick'.

My first idea was to add a stencil to each page still using fired brick.
I used a stamp set (freebie from a magazine) to add Chinese images in black Stazon - this is the left hand side:


On the right hand side I tried some Chinese Brush Painting
having watched this video on Bamboo painting for beginners

I added some red lanterns to this painting with red Stazon and another stamp from the free set.


Thought I would just add this picture of me with a Chinese lantern...


Next I tried my hand at Chinese paper cutting after looking at these tutorials:
Double Happiness
and
 Butterfly
I used thin red paper and attached two of the happiness papers and one butterfly.


Happy Crafting!


2 comments:

  1. Two absolutely stunning journal pages Susan. They look really good in the monochrome, very Oriental. I'm impressed with your paper cutting. That is a super butterfly. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very oriental.
    Love the vivid red.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the lantern.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and maybe leaving a comment! Please come back soon!