Featured Post

Creative Warriors Inspiration Team - Term 3 Post #15

            This is my next inspiration for the Creative Warriors Inspiration Team  with  Michelle Grant Designs You will see our inspiratio...

Thursday 22 April 2021

Blog Along with Effy - Post Twenty Two

 

Wanderlust Week 16 with Dyan Reaveley. This is my completed page - I followed this class quite carefully even to the dots on the letters which I quite enjoyed doing! I have been to 'Art from the Heart' in Harrogate but not to one of Dyan's classes. In fact it was when Tim Holtz did his UK class there in September 2017.


If you have been reading some of my April posts you will know that when I saw
Effy's Blog Along I thought I would share some 'diary' posts, along with some of the crafty things I have been doing.


Now that our parents' house has been cleared, my sister has been going through the myriad old photos and papers. She had found so many photos of which we are unsure of the when, what, who... For instance, we know this photo must have been early 1950 and we recognise quite a few of the people - but what was the event and who are the others?


She also came across this newspaper cutting - of me receiving a school prize when I was in the fourth form. The book was about the Australian Flying Doctor service. Who knew that one day I would live in Australia?!



I have always loved reading. I remember when I was 11 or 12 - I would go to the library on a Friday evening and pick up 4 books. They would be all read by Monday morning. Titles I remember loving to read as a child were Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series and Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series. Of course there are many more but those were the first that came to mind. I do remember The Chalet Girls in Camp by Elinor M Brent-Dyer. I was reading it in bed when my Dad said time to switch the light off. I had just reached the point where the girls had found a 'body' in the lake. I had nightmares - Mum had to read to the next part of the book with me to find out it was only a boat's figurehead.

I tried to instil my love of books into the children - and I am sure I succeeded with Sophie but maybe not the boys. She won a school prize when she was in year 8, here in Australia at Beaumaris High School. The book was the second in the Harry Potter series. At this stage J K Rowling was pretty much unknown.  I did know that my aunt who was in change of a group of libraries in Sheffield, England, was instrumental in awarding her the Sheffield Libraries Children's Author Prize for the first book. Anyway Harry Potter became a 'must read' series in our household. In fact when each new book came out, it would be a fight between Sophie, son Matthew and me as to who would read it first.

A couple of years ago Sophie and I were lucky enough to take the Harry Potter Studio Tour - a great visit!


Tonight we are going to the Harry Potter Cursed Child play (Part 1) here in Melbourne...

All for now - see you tomorrow!





Happy Crafting!



4 comments:

  1. I love your Wanderlust piece! It looks fantastic!

    I have some of those old photos, too, where I recognize some of the people but not others and have no idea what was happening. So many stories in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finished piece looks fab, well done.
    I miss reading, unused to be a prolific reader, always had a book on the go and could finish a stack at the weekend too. Then 8 years ago my world shattered, and it has taken away my ability to be still and just read with nothing else to do. I miss those days. I art now because I am doing rather than being. Yet I still buy books, instill visit the library (pre covid) and I buy audiobook that I never listen too... Oh for the time when I can just slow down and read....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your art piece, and loved watching it come to be.
    I have my families old picture, there are so many I don't recognize or know, I like wondering about who they are and what their lives would have been like.
    I am also a reader. Though I don't read as prolifically as I used to. I want to, but keeping my attention has gotten harder than it was in the past. Stress? I don't know. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and maybe leaving a comment! Please come back soon!


To comply with the new EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog. On entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway that I might promote, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner - thanks.