Featured Post

Creative Warriors Inspiration Team - Term 3 Post #15

            This is my next inspiration for the Creative Warriors Inspiration Team  with  Michelle Grant Designs You will see our inspiratio...

Monday 26 April 2021

Blog Along with Effy - Post Twenty Six


If you have been reading some of my April posts you will know that when I saw
Effy's Blog Along I thought I would share some 'diary' posts, along with some of the crafty things I have been doing.

This is really the continuation of my last post. I got started this morning but then got waylaid. I did't get round to chatting about any of my 'everyday life' or 'memories'!


I had shown you this which is the start of week 17 of Wanderlust and a workshop by Kasia Avery. The next step was to add some more collage, some fabric (mine was some that I had stencilled paint on and ripped up). Then gesso.


 
Finally oil pastels and more gesso. I think my pastels are too pastel. I wanted some stronger colour... but I quite like the texture.


I would like to thank Angela for the links to Gecko Galz - Today I made these for the Christmas and Steampunk Challenges. For more details please scroll down my posts... So lovely to be given the images!



So - what am I going to chat about today? Boats, I think.

I was looking through old photographs and came across this - quotes from the wall of the Maritime Museum in Greenwich.


Of course my Dad had been in the Navy...


... but when we three children became teenagers Mum and Dad decided we should all have sailing lessons, with the hope of gaining an interest in a hobby we could all share. It worked and the whole family took to sailing. This is Dad sailing with my brother Andrew.

The main holiday of the year became the Menai Strait Regatta.  There was soon a fleet of family boats. This was Kevin and I in our first boat:

Of course when Kevin first got to know the family he was not at all interested in sailing. In fact he vowed not to get involved. Too much talk all the time about sailing! It didn't last!

There were always sailors and shore party!


Mum and Dad bought a small cottage on Anglesey where many of the family have enjoyed happy holidays. The following picture is a typical meeting of the clan - Mum and Dad would be at the cottage, the rest of us would camp or get a holiday house.


To get back to the story though, we eventually got a 'big boat'. This was fitted out on our driveway in Sheffield until it was towed over to Anglesey and launched. This was around 40 years ago. I was heavily pregnant with our son Tom. Dad was pretty concerned as he and I were left on the boat while Kevin and Mum went off in the tender and they got stuck in the mud. What might happen? I don't think he looked that worried in this picture, where he is lying in a pipe cot.

While the kids were younger my sister Liz and I would be onshore with the kids while 'the men' would be sailing.

Eventually all our kids became sailors. Maybe because they were introduced to it at an early age! This is Sophie's first trip on a boat (with Mum) when she was 8 days old.



Much later on Sophie and I used to sail the Mirror, Alice, together. I remember one particular race when we were sailing round Puffin Island. The waves were really huge. One of the large boats sailed past us - one of the men on board said "You must be mad!"


All for now - see you tomorrow!

Happy Crafting!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the progress pics of the collage painting, I love where you took it.
    In my family, its hunting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the progress pictures, I really need to make a start on that piece soon.
    Love your family photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dreamy quality you ended up with in your collage.
    Great story about boats & boat related!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and maybe leaving a comment! Please come back soon!


To comply with the new EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog. On entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway that I might promote, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner - thanks.